If you’ve been looking for a new dentist in Houston, you’ve probably heard the term “family dentistry” quite a bit. But what does this phrase actually mean? Is it any different from a general dentist or comprehensive dentist? What can you expect from a family dental practice, like EaDo Family Dental?
We want our patients to be well-informed about what we do at our office and the services we provide. Here’s some helpful information about family dentistry:
Family Dentistry – General, Preventive, And Comprehensive Treatment For All Ages
Not all general dentists are family dentists. Most family dentists have at least some training related to working with children, though not as much as specialized pediatric dentists. This means that family dentistry is intended to help you address your oral health needs, and those of your children, at every stage of life.
Family dentists understand that kids have different dental needs than adults, and they are trained to deliver specialized care to make sure that their unique oral hygiene needs are met.
Essentially, you can think of a family dentist as a “one-stop shop”. One of the major benefits of a family dentistry office like EaDo Family Dental is that the same dentist can take care of your dental health from infancy, all throughout childhood and the teenage years, into adulthood.
Family dentists understand the changes that take place in a child’s mouth throughout every stage of life, and they are trained to provide a gentle, caring approach to dentistry. Family dentists, like Dr. Bianca Williams and Dr. John Ma of EaDo Family Dental, want to ensure that kids always have a positive experience when they come in for an appointment.
Family Dentistry Services – What To Expect
Most family dentists offer services related to oral hygiene and preventive dentistry, although some may also offer orthodontia, oral surgery like dental implants, and cosmetic dentistry. The most common services include:
- Regular 6-month cleanings and exams – Teeth cleanings and 6-month exams are extremely important, as they allow your dentist to monitor the health of your mouth, or your child’s oral hygiene.
- Fluoride treatments and dental sealants – Fluoride and dental sealants can help combat cavities, and are often used in children who are cavity-prone.
- Cavity checks and fillings – Cavities are, by far, the most common preventable childhood health condition, so family dentists specialize in identifying and treating cavities with fillings.
- Orthodontics – Most family dentists will offer orthodontic assessments, though not all of them offer orthodontics in-house, and may refer you to another specialist in the area.
- Gum disease treatment – Gum disease is very common in adults, so family dentists use procedures like deep cleanings, gum flap surgery, and antibiotics to deal with cases of gingivitis or gum disease.
Most family dentists also offer additional services, but these are the most common.
Contact Us Now For Family Dentistry In Houston!
At EaDo, we pride ourselves on always delivering the best dental care for your entire family. We accept same-day appointments, and Dr. Bianca Williams and Dr. John Ma love meeting new patients. Not convinced we’re right for you? Read our patient testimonials to hear success stories from our happy patient family!
If you’ve been looking for a new dental home for your family in Houston, look no further. Contact us today at (713) 474-2334, or stop by our office at 2240 Navigation Blvd, Suite 300, Houston, TX 77003!