Dental Bonding, Shaping, Contouring in Houston
Get The Smile You’ve Always Wanted!
Why Dental Bonding?
Dental bonding is a great way to reshape your teeth and cover issues like chips, stains, and gaps in your smile. Shaping & contouring are often performed along with dental bonding to to straighten out uneven teeth and enhance the overall appearance of your smile. If you’re unhappy with your smile and you’re looking for a non-invasive way to boost your confidence, call us today at (713) 474-2334 to schedule a consultation!
What Is Dental Bonding?
Dental bonding uses a special type of dental resin to restore and reshape your teeth. This resin is similar to the material used for a tooth-colored filling. During treatment, Dr. Williams or Dr. Ma will apply it directly to your tooth and shape it to restore your smile.
The process takes only a single appointment, and treatment begins by cleaning and numbing your mouth. Then, Dr. Williams or Dr. Ma will apply the resin and begin sculpting it into the proper overall shape. Once the rough shape looks good, the resin will be hardened using a UV light.
Next, specialized dental tools will be used to refine the shape of the tooth until the resin looks like part of your natural smile. Once the tooth looks and feels perfect, it will be buffed and polished, completing the procedure. It takes about 30-60 minutes to treat each tooth with dental bonding.
What Is Shaping & Contouring?
Shaping and contouring are also known as “enameloplasty.” These treatments consist of buffing away a very thin layer of enamel from some of your teeth to refine their shape, and it’s often used alongside dental bonding to correct uneven teeth and make sure your smile looks seamless. With bonding, shaping and contouring, you can get the smile you’ve always wanted.
Is This a Cosmetic Service?
Dental bonding can be both a cosmetic and restorative treatment. It is most commonly used in cosmetic dentistry to improve the appearance of teeth by improving discoloration, closing gaps, or covering up chips, cracks, and uneven or worn down teeth. Any sort of minor cosmetic imperfection can be covered with dental bonding.
However, dental bonding can also be used to restore the structure and strength of a tooth that has been damaged from bruxism or dental trauma as an alternative to dental crowns. When teeth are chipped or cracked, it’s important to restore the structure of the tooth to protect it from damage and assist with functionality such as chewing.
Whether a patient is electing to get dental bonding purely for cosmetic reasons or to repair damage caused by injury or decay will affect its eligibility to be covered by dental insurance. Purely cosmetic procedures are typically not covered by insurance.
The entire dental bonding procedure takes between 30-60 minutes per tooth. Local anesthesia is typically not required because the procedure is painless and there are no nerves in the enamel of your teeth. However, it may be administered if your tooth requires drilling or if we have to come into close contact with an exposed nerve.
Preparation – An enameloplasty may be performed to slightly alter the shape of your enamel before bonding the composite resin to your tooth. Tooth contouring and dental bonding are often combined to create the ultimate aesthetic. A shade guide will be used to match the resin to your natural tooth enamel and blend in with the rest of your teeth.
Tooth Bonding – To help encourage the bonding process, we will etch the surface of your enamel and then apply a conditioning liquid that helps the adhesive stick. The composite resin will then be applied to the tooth and cured with UV light. This hardens the bonding instantly. Additional contouring and shaping can be performed at this point. Your dentist in Houston, TX will finish the procedure by polishing your tooth.
The Benefits Of Bonding, Shaping & Contouring
- Get results in just a single appointment – Since it only takes about an hour to bond each tooth, you can have multiple teeth treated at once and completely restore your smile in just a single appointment.
- Non-invasive and pain-free – Most patients do not even need to be numbed during the process of dental bonding because it’s completely non-invasive. Numbing is not necessary during shaping & contouring, either, but you can opt to be numbed during the process if you feel it would make your experience more comfortable.
- Affordable for any budget – Dental bonding is usually much more affordable than other cosmetic treatments like porcelain veneers. If you want to restore your smile on a tight budget, dental bonding is a great option.
- Alternative treatment – Dental bonding can be used as a more affordable alternative to dental crowns or veneers as it achieves many of the same structural and cosmetic benefits of these treatments without multiple appointments and the higher cost.
- Improves dental imperfections – Dental bonding is incredibly effective at improving the appearance of your teeth and smile. Whether you have stained teeth, minor orthodontic issues, or you want to change the shape, size, or length of your teeth entirely, this can all be achieved with a quick dental bonding procedure.
- Restores damaged teeth – Composite resin is also used to fill the missing structure of a tooth from decay or dental trauma. It is also used to repair chips and cracks to restore the structural integrity and strength of your teeth.
- Minimal tooth prep – Dental bonding can be performed with minimal removal of tooth enamel to achieve the desired results, unlike other cosmetic procedures such as veneers and dental crowns.
Schedule a Cosmetic Consultation Today!
If you are thinking about restoring your smile with cosmetic dentistry, EaDo Family Dental offers a judgment-free approach and beautiful results. We provide affordable, professional cosmetic care in Houston, and we’d love to help you get the smile you deserve! Give us a call now at (713) 474-2334 to get started, or stop by our office at 2240 Navigation Blvd, Suite 300, Houston, TX 77003.